Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 446: Elias of Evesham OSB, Quadrilogus de uita Sancti Thomae Cantuariensis
Vita S. Thomae
ff. 2 + 144 + 4
185 Height (mm) and 119 Width (mm)
[ca. 1475 - 1499]
On the last flyleaf (vir): Jacobus Tutyll.
Table of contents:
Quadrilogus de uita Sancti Thomae Cantuariensis, 'second' (earlier) version
CCCC MS 446 is a fifteenth-century copy of the Quadrilogus de uita Sancti Thomae Cantuariensis by the Benedictine monk Elias of Evesham (fl. c. 1200), written in 1198-9. It is the recension of the text known as the 'second' version, although confusingly recent scholarship has suggested that the 'second' version is earlier than the 'first'. It was dedicated to Henry de Longchamp, abbot of Crowland. This manuscript has been dated to the second quarter of the fifteenth century on the grounds of its decoration. The 'Jacobus Tutyll' of the inscription on f. vi recto has not been identified, and the manuscript's provenance before it came into the hands of Parker is not known. Parker compared it with a manuscript owned by John Twyne (d. 1581) and made notes about the omissions in MS 446 at the end.