Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 544: William Lyndwood, Constitutiones prouinciales
ff. 96 + 3
210 Height (mm) and 137 Width (mm)
[ca. 1400 - 1499]
English. Belonged to William Stukeley, who gave it to E. Kelsall; Rev. P. Hookins, curate of Great Barford, Oxon., 1852-91; Walford and Cambray, Banbury, 1893; Rev. C. J. Bowen of St John's Roman Catholic church, Banbury, from whose trustees it was bought in May 1932.
Table of contents:
CCCC MS 544, contains a fifteenth-century copy of William Lyndwood (d. 1446) Constitutiones prouinciales, although this version lacks Lyndwood's glosses to the same text. This very popular text is a digest of the synodal constitutions of the province of Canterbury from 1222 to 1416. The manuscript was never part of Parker's collection but rather was purchased from the trustees of the Rev. J. C. Bowen of Banbury in May 1932. Bowen had unfortunately gone mad, his only request for reading matter during his confinement being this manuscript, which request was refused on account of the threat that he would damage it.