Musica Hogeri (Boethius, De institutione musica (V, 17-19))
Commemoratio breuis de tonis et psalmis modulandis (fragment)
CCCC MS 260 was written towards the end of the tenth century at Christ Church, Canterbury. It contains copies of important early medieval treatises on music, most significantly the Musica enchiriadis and Scholica enchiriadis, which usually travelled together. Both must be considered essentially anonymous, despite the fact that the Musica enchiriadis is in this manuscript attributed to Hoger of Laon (d. 930); in the Corpus catalogue James attributed them to Hucbald of Saint-Amand (d. c. 930) and Odo of Cluny OSB (c. 879-942) respectively. Together they provide some of the earliest evidence for polyphony, and use a type of notation known as Dasian, which allows for precise pitch to be recorded. Parker wrote "TW" in this manuscript, perhaps to indicate that he acquired it from John Twyne, a Canterbury schoolmaster and antiquary who had worked at St Augustine's before the Dissolution; or alternatively, from Thomas Wotton (c. 1521-87), nephew of Nicholas Wotton dean of Canterbury, and an associate of Parker with Puritan sympathies.