CCCC MS 46 contains copies of two works by John of Salisbury (c. 1120-1180), the Policraticus and the Metalogicon. The Corpus manuscript is sometimes described as the author's own copy that was presented by Salisbury to Archbishop Thomas Becket. Whether this was the case or not, it was certainly at the Benedictine cathedral priory of the Holy Trinity, Christ Church, Canterbury in the later twelfth century and remained there until it came into Parker's possession. Nineteenth- and early twentieth-century editors and commentators stressed the importance of the texts in this manuscript as early versions of John of Salisbury's work. A more recent editor, however, has described the texts preserved in CCCC MS 46 as 'corrupt'.