Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 191: Enlarged Rule of Chrodegang in Latin and Old English
Latin and English, Old (ca. 450-1100)
ff. 85 + 2
290 Height (mm) and 175 Width (mm)
[ca. 1000 - 1025]
Table of contents:
Enlarged Rule of Chrodegang in Latin and Old English
CCCC MS 191 is a copy of the bilingual version of the Rule for Canons of Chrodegang of Metz (d. 766). It was written in the third quarter of the eleventh century at Exeter, and is probably identifiable as one of the manuscripts given to Exeter by Bishop Leofric (1050-72). Leofric, who was probably from Cornwall although he has an English name, was brought up in Lotharingia, where he encountered Chrodegang's Rule, which sought to encourage communal life among the secular, rather than monastic, clergy. Leofric introduced this rule to Exeter, which he reconstituted as a community of clerics rather than monks when he moved his see there from Crediton in 1050. This manuscript was used by the Parkerian circle for its Old English vocabulary and was annotated by Parker when he was preparing his defence of priests' marriage.