Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 149: Hegesippus (attrib.), Historia Iosephi de bello iudaico et excidio urbis Hierosolymitanae
ff. 135 + 3
310 Height (mm) and 175 Width (mm)
[ca. 1000 - 1099]
At top of f. 1 (xiii) erased Lib. sci Andr' de ... Jo le(?) The obvious churches of St Andrew are Rochester, Hexham, Wells.
Table of contents:
Historia Iosephi de bello iudaico et excidio urbis Hierosolymitanae
CCCC MS 149 is a manuscript of the Historia Iosephi de bello iudaico et excidio urbis Hierosolymitanae, pseudonymously attributed to the second-century historian, Hegesippus, as was common in the Middle Ages. On the grounds of its script it can be dated to the first half of the twelfth century. A partially erased ex libris inscription shows that it was at a foundation dedicated to St Andrew, and the Augustinian priory of Hexham has been suggested. The manuscript has flyleaves from a mid-twelfth-century Italian legal manuscript. According to James, fragments from the same manuscript survive in Cambridge, Gonville and Caius College MS 285, and in Cambridge, Pembroke College MS 7, a manuscript which Robert Grosseteste (d. 1253) gave to Bury St Edmunds in exchange for another.