Contact Us

Parker Library On the Web Manuscripts in the Parker Library at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge

Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 096: The Fitzhugh Chronicle (John Brompton's Chronicle) [588-1199]

IIIF Drag-n-drop purl.stanford.edu/vd272wq5988
Title:
Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 096: The Fitzhugh Chronicle (John Brompton's Chronicle) [588-1199]
Alternate Title:
Chronicon dictum Johannis Brompton
Language:
Latin
Extent:
ff. 239 + 2
Approximate Date:
[ca. 1400 - 1499]
Collection:
Parker Manuscripts
Description:
CCCC MS 96, dating to c. 1425-50, contains the text of a chronicle from the arrival in England of St Augustine of Canterbury up to 1199, together with a collection of Latin versions of the Anglo-Saxon law codes known as the Quadripartitus. The version of the Quadripartitus is one of three (the other versions being in Manchester, John Rylands University Library MS Lat. 420 and London, BL MS Additional 49366) that make up a coherent tradition within the transmission of the text. The chronicle was once commonly called John Brompton's Chronicle but is probably better described as The Fitzhugh Chronicle, since the arms of William, 4th lord Fitzhugh (1425-1452), depicted in a gilded initial, probably identify him as the first owner. Thereafter it was in the hands of John Brompton (fl. 1436-c. 1464), Abbot of Jervaulx and possibly Richard, Duke of Gloucester (d. 1485). John Leland (d. 1552), the antiquary, seems to have seen the volume in Jervaulx Abbey in the 1530s or early 1540s, but it was recorded by the historian John Bale (1495-1563) as being in the hands of Peter Osborn (d. 1592) Keeper of the Privy Purse to Edward VI and Parker's executor, from whom it passed to Parker.