Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 575: The Parker Registerpurl.stanford.edu/ww741yn5061
- Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 575: The Parker Register
- Latin and English
- ff. 88
- 177 Height (mm) and 133 Width (mm)
- Approximate Date:
- [ca. 1500 - 1599]
- Formerly catalogued as printed book SP. 13.
- Table of contents:
- Indentures concerning Matthew Parker's bequest to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
- List of printed books and manuscripts given by Matthew Parker to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
- The main condition attached to Parkers gift of books to Corpus Christi College was an annual inspection of the library by officials from Trinity Hall and Gonville and Caius College. To this end three copies were made of the Parker Register, listing Parkers donations, one for each college, so that the contents of the library could be checked against this list. CCCC MS 575 is the copy belonging to Corpus Christi College, and contains annotations made by John Parker, Corpus fellow and son of Matthew, who checked the books not long after his fathers death. It is not clear how thoroughly these annual inspections were carried out - for one thing the three copies differ slightly - but nonetheless the system was successful in that remarkably little of Parkers collection has been lost over the years. The 'audit' has been revived as an annual occurrence since 2004 after a long period when it did not regularly take place.