De nouissimis et Antichristo (pseudo-Jerome, De XV signis)
CCCC MS 267 is a late eleventh- or early twelfth-century copy of the Chronica of Frechulf of Lisieux (fl. 823-53); it contains only the first part, from Adam to the Incarnation. It is one of the manuscripts produced at St Augustine's Abbey Canterbury after the Conquest in an almost exaggeratedly English style of script. The same scribe is found in other St Augustine's books, and this manuscript is identifiable in the medieval catalogue of the abbey's library. A short text by Peter Damian (1007-72) was added not long after the manuscript was written. A near-contemporary copy of a neumed hymn to St Mellitus, the third archbishop of Canterbury, is now at the front of the book, but because it is codicologically separable it may not always have been part of this manuscript. In the fifteenth century a short prophetic poem by John Thwing of Bridlington OSA (d. 1379) was added at the back of the volume. The chronicle section contains fine illuminated initials.